Home safety tips
Looking for ways to keep your home safer? Here's what our officers recommend.
- Reinforce your doors using a Strikemaster kit or alternative
- Replace worn-out deadbolts and locks
- Invest in “unbreakable” storm doors from your local home goods store
- Lock all garage and crawl space entrances
- Arrange for a professional to install clear window film to prevent shattering
- Add window security pins to prevent prying open of windows
- Close your blinds while watching TV
Lights and cameras
- Hang motion lights in all four corners of your home
- If you're installing a security camera system, be sure to place the cameras at a height of 6-to-7 feet to provide the clearest images
- Avoid leaving empty boxes from recent purchases at the curb
- Don't leave any valuables in your car, even in the trunk
And finally, keep any firearms under lock and key.